-Should pregnant women receive chiropractic care? YES
-Is it safe for women to get adjusted while pregnant? Absolutely!!! There are no known contraindications to chiropractic spinal and pelvic adjustments throughout pregnancy!
I just got back from Overland Park, Kansas this past weekend after attending yet another wonderful ICPA (International Chiropractic Pediatric Association) seminar! This particular seminar was focused on Webster Technique and its application in pregnant women. I wanted to share some of the amazing things I learned!
First off… What is Webster technique? Webster technique is a technique that provides us with a very specific analysis of the pelvis, sacrum and round ligaments of the uterus. With this analysis we are able to determine the proper adjustments to make for optimum correction.
Why is this technique wonderful for women who are pregnant?
The uterus has ligaments that are connected to the sacrum and ligaments that come around front and connect to the stomach. Your baby lives in your uterus. When the sacrum is subluxated or out of place it can pull on the uterosacral ligaments that are attached to it putting tension on your uterus, or your babies temporary home. Not only can this cause structural stress on the mothers pelvis and uterus but it can also cause interference in the mothers nervous system.
What are the benefits of Webster Technique adjustments for the mother?
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Removes tension/torsion of the ligaments that support the uterus thus potentially reducing aberrant tension to the woman’s uterus.
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nervous system which controls and co-ordinates all her systems and functions.
- By improving maternal function we are decreasing the potential for unnecessary intervention.
What are the benefits for the infant?
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nervous system allowing for better baby development.
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention.
*All infant benefits come from adjusting and treating the MOTHER, we do not treat the baby in utero as that is obstetrics.
One in 4 babies are delivered via C-section, some hospitals reporting as high as 1 in 2… when did birth become a medical procedure instead of a normal and NATURAL process?
Talk to your chiropractor about how adjustments can help. If we can avoid an unnecessary C-section why wouldn’t we? It’s better for the baby and the mother if a natural vaginal birth occurs.
What questions do you have??
Email me directly at DrNicole@yostfamilychiropractic.com and don’t forget to like us on facebook to stay updated on all of our blogs, videos and announcements!! We have a lot of wonderful things to share with everyone 🙂
Dr. Nicole Davis with Yost Family Chiropractic in Urbandale, Iowa
Dr. Nicole Davis graduated from Logan University with not only her Doctorate in Chiropractic but her Bachelors in Life Sciences. After working with hundreds of clients a week in a busy Ohio Chiropractic clinic, she decided to head home to Des Moines to be closer to her family. She currently specializes in family wellness care with advanced training in pediatric and pregnancy care, working alongside 2 other doctors in the only Wellness Center in Iowa to offer Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Specialized Pediatric and Pregnancy Care as well as Functional Medicine. She loves spending time with family, friends and her dog, Maci. She is here to serve her community with love, support and enthusiasm.