Cold and flu season is here! I don’t know about you, but I like learning of natural ways to protect my immune system so I can prevent falling victim to the cold or flu. Or if I’ve already caught the bug, knowing what to take to make me feel better the fastest (and I don’t mean taking copious amounts of Dayquil and Nyquil to help me get through the day and night!).
There are many natural ways to jumpstart your immune system, but these are a few we recommend to our patients:
- Chiropractic care: Chiropractic care regulates the nervous system. The nervous system controls everything in your body, including the immune system. Chiropractic care boosts the immune system by 200-400%.
- Vitamin D: The sun is a natural source of vitamin D, but with daylight hours decreasing and the weather getting colder, it’s harder to get enough vitamin D from the sun. Supplement vitamin D to prevent cold/flu and to jumpstart the immune system.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are “good” bacteria that inhabit the gut and support the immune system. Over 70% of the immune system is controlled by what happens in the gut.
- Omega-3-Fatty Acids: Not only are Omega-3 fatty acids good for the cardiovascular system, reducing inflammation and enhancing brain function; it also boosts the immune system.
- Echinacea: Helps prevent colds and flu, but if taken when you are sick it also helps shorten the duration and decreases severity. NOTE: Echinacea is in the ragweed family, so if you are allergic to ragweed you may be allergic to Echinacea as well.
- Garlic: Garlic is a potent herb with a variety of active compounds that reduce inflammation, fight infection and regulate the cardiovascular system. Garlic is full of antioxidants and even helps you fight the cold/flu faster.
- Drenamin by Standard Process: Drenamin is a dietary supplement that supports adrenal function, encourages a healthy response to everyday environmental stresses, supports immune system function and even maintains energy production so even though you are sick, you are able to get through the day.
- Exercise: Regular exercise is important for healthy living. It improves cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight, and protects against a variety of diseases. Just like a healthy diet, exercise can contribute to general good health and therefore to a healthy immune system. It may contribute even more directly by promoting good circulation, which allows the cells and substances of the immune system to move through the body freely and do their job efficiently.
Now you know of natural ways to kick that cold or flu to the curb! Stay healthy for the new year!
Dr. Jessica Stensland is a busy family wellness Chiropractor in Urbandale, Iowa. She spends her weeks taking care of dozens of families. Not only does Dr. Jessica specialize in pediatric and pregnancy chiropractic care, but she’s a board certified Acupuncturist. Dr. Jessica believes that a healthier community means taking care of all ages. She is a Minnesota native and enjoys seeing family and friends in her free time, in addition to staying active and reading the many books she has on her kindle.